Sunday, January 27, 2008

Flickering TV Lights


Flickering Signifiers by Ken Rinaldo


When I first had the idea of making a video of ambient TV light, naturally I went to Google and this site was one of the results of my search.

Flickering Signifiers is an ambient light installation concerned with the rhythmic nature of television light and how it is used to seduce and compel the viewer into a kind of hypnotic and passive inaction-while watching.

This installation touches on the more intense and cultish qualities of TV. What really interests me about looking at TV/video as an object--rather than a messenger of reality TV shows that I shamelessly enjoy--is because I want to move beyond the big debate and fuss about the content of video and just strip it down to the pixels and flashing lights. 

Once upon a simple time ago, people stared at radios. I want to rewind time and have a similar awe and experience with TV.

No comments: